St. Mark's Lutheran Church was organized on July 13, 1924 and incorporated on November 10, 1924. The Rev Theo A. Schoenberg was the first pastor serving until his death in 1942.
In 1924 the church was located at 4225 SE 63rd Avenue and started with 35 members. The Rev L. C. Weitzenkamp served as interim pastor in 1942. The Rev. J. C Suter served as pastor from November 8, 1942 until August 5, 1945.
Rev. Walter J. Knutson, began his pastorate at St. Mark's on October 14, 1945 and the parsonage at 4209 SE 63rd was purchased in 1946.
In May 1948 the congregation began seriously thinking about building a new church with the purchase of property on SE 54th and Powell. Up to 1948 the congregation was a mission church and supported by the Board of Missions of the United Lutheran Church. Ground breaking took place in 1949 for a new "big chapel" after a growth in membership and financial resources.
In 1956 the cornerstone was laid for the main sanctuary and the former big chapel was now the "the little chapel". As the congregation grew so did the Sunday School which overflowed into the parsonage built in 1952. The need for additional space was met by the addition of the educational unit completed in 1968.
After serving St. Mark's for 38 years, Pastor Walter Knutson retired.
Rev. David F. Larson served St. Mark's from 1985-1989.
Rev. Wendell Jacobson, previously an Assistant Pastor at St. Mark's, became the Lead Pastor in 1990 and served until his retirement in 1997.
During these years St. Mark's spirituality expanded in the community. With the additional growth of members and activities two adjacent houses were purchased for expanded parking which was completed in 1993.
In 1997 the Rev. Linda Larson served as interim pastor during the selection process for a new pastor.
The Rev. Bryon Hansen accepted the call and became our pastor in 1998.
In 2007 Pastor Hansen answered a call from a church in California and ended nearly nine years of faithful service at St. Mark's.
The Rev. Jim Flachsbart became our interim pastor in the summer of 2007 and served until August 2009.
The Rev. Ron McCallum served a short time until October 2009.
The current Pastor, the Rev. Elizabeth Larsen, started on October 18, 2009.
St. Mark's is grateful for the many years of service from our clergy, support staff and members.